If you don’t wake up tomorrow or tragedy strikes you today, do you have a plan in place to care for your Special Needs loved one?
This is a tough question, and one that is not always very easily addressed. However, when dealing with a loved one that has a disability, your planning for their future must be of paramount consideration.
In planning for the future, you will want to decide what you desire for your Special Needs loved one, especially if your loved one has limited capacity to make some of the important decisions on their own. Below are some questions you should ask yourself, and then you should consult with a trusted financial advisor to start to put your own plan together.
If you don’t come home tomorrow, ask yourself…
- RESIDENCE: Where will your Special Needs loved one go?
- EDUCATION: What is your life long perspective of your Special Needs loved one and their capabilities?
- EMPLOYMENT: What has your Special Needs loved one enjoyed? What are their goals, aspirations, and limitations?
- SOCIAL: What activities make life meaningful for your Special Needs loved one (sports, hobbies, etc.)?
- RELIGIOUS: Is there a special church or place of worship, or a particular person for fellowship?
- MEDICAL CARE: What has and has not worked (don’t make someone reinvent the wheel and cause undue pain)?
- BEHAVIOR: How can someone maintain consistency for your Special Needs loved one in your absence during a difficult transition period?
- FINAL ARRANGEMENTS: Remember, you are no longer around. What dignified final arrangements do you want to provide?
- ADVOCATE/GUARDIAN: Who will look after, fight for, and be a friend to your Special Needs loved one?
- TRUSTEE: Who do you trust to manage the supplementary funds?
These questions only scratch the surface of what a future caregiver may be asking in your absence. A complete, accurate, and up-to-date set of Caregiver Instructions can simplify the transition process and allow for the quality care that you desire to be implemented. Think about what you want others to know and start putting it down on paper.
If you need help starting a plan, please contact a Golden Financial Services Advisor today. You can receive a discount on our consulting fee with a FREE Bronze Membership, so think about signing up today. Also, check out our Silver and Gold memberships and the do-it-yourself Life Plan Builder that is available for those members. The Life Plan Builder will guide you through the process of creating your own Caregiver Instructions with helpful checklists, forms, and a sample outline.